Thursday, April 7, 2011

22 Weeks and a trip to Labor and Delivery (TMI alert)


1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 

 
Well, we certainly had an interesting week, to say the least. It started out great. I've been feeling lots of movement and I even saw the baby kick the other night. My belly twitched three times where he was kicking. It was truly cool. 

Last night when I got home, my back hurt so bad that I couldn't bend over to pick up my socks. I had to lay down in my bed for an hour before I could even change into sweatpants (for those of you that know me, you know the sweats come on as soon as I walk in the door). I dealt with it, and didn't take any Tylenol. I just went to bed as usual. 

This morning, I woke up fine. After my shower, around 7:30, things got scary. While drying off, I realized I was bleeding, you know, from there. So I lumbered into the living room to tell John. We called my OB and since I wasn't feeling any other symptoms, she said to call her office at 9 to schedule a time to come in to get checked. 

I called at 9, and by then I was having mild cramping. When the Dr. heard that I was cramping, she sent me straight over to the hospital, to Labor and Delivery. Once there, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor to check for contractions. Luckily, I wasn't having any, but Rambo decided that he didn't like the monitor. He kicked and punched it the entire time it was on my belly. He's such a brat. 

I had several more tests, including an internal exam and an ultrasound by a MFM Dr. In the end, it was decided that my placenta caused the bleeding. It could mean nothing (most likely), but needs to be monitored. I'll have to visit a high-risk specialist a few more times throughout my pregnancy in addition to my regular OB visits. I've been placed on strict bed rest until my follow-up appointment on Monday. Say a prayer for little Rambo and his freaked-out parents!

The Weekly Survey! 
How Far Along: 22 weeks, 3 days
 
Sex: boy
 
Size of baby:
Not sure about the length (see above for estimates), but I found out today that he weighs 1 lb. 3 oz. 

Other things baby is up to:
Rambo is now able to hear outside noise from down in the womb. Studies show that baby finds gentle music and my own voice most soothing. Nipples are starting to sprout, and that little face is fully formed. And, baby's starting to settle into sleep cycles, snoozing about 12 to 14 hours a day. Just like momma. Tooth buds have formed under the gums and there is lanugo hair covering the body. Eye brows and eye lashes have developed completely, but are probably white. Sweat glands have now developed. Oh, and his testicles are starting to descend into the scrotum. That is good news, huh?

Total Weight Gain/Loss:
+5 (total)
 
Movement: Every day! And on Tuesday, 4/5, I SAW my belly move with a kick! Thank you Ben and Jerry's for supplying the baby with fuel for this feat!

Sleep:
No problemo. Me likey.

Symptoms:
Lots of nose bleeds, especially in the morning. Back pain. Bad back pain.
 
Cravings: Sweets, I guess. Although I don't think I can blame this on the baby.

Aversions: Organic tomato soup. Used to love it. John packed my lunch and put it in there and I wanted to throw it against the wall. Sorry, John. :)

Maternity Clothes:
Yep. And some of my sweat pants feel uncomfortable now. Great!

Belly Button:
Innie.
 
Milestones: We secured a place for daycare this week. It's a great place and we love it. I'm not happy about sending him to daycare in general, but we gots to do it. 
Also, the big milestone this week is the belly-shaking kick!

Looking forward to:
Holding him when he is born healthy and full term. Gina offered to deliver Sunday dinner, so I'm pretty stoked for that. Oh and she might bring me cupcakes from Sugarush in Redbank tomorrow. If you haven't been there yet, you simply must. 

What I Miss:  Coffee. None of that decaf crap, the real deal. The first words out of my mouth Tuesday morning to John were, "Tell Murph that when he comes to visit the baby, he'd better stop at Java Girl and get me Some Blackberry Cream Coffee first." John just laughed and said he'd get right on it. I'M SERIOUS, MURPH! I also miss martinis and oysters. Mmmm...

Next appointment: Monday, 4/11 for a follow up to today's drama.

Times I used the doppler in the last week: 2. I had a dream earlier this week that the baby died. As soon as I woke up, I looked for his heartbeat. I also used it today when I realized I was bleeding. 

Weekly bump pic: None this week. Sorry, I'm on bed rest. I'll leave you with this one instead: 

No comments:

Post a Comment