Wednesday, April 13, 2011

23 Weeks!


1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

So, this week has been pretty boring. Late last week, I got put on strict bed rest due to bleeding, cramping, and a super scary trip to L&D. You know that expression, "Bored to Tears"? Well, on Sunday, I cried from frustration, boredom, and loneliness. I had to lay in bed or on the couch ALL DAY and could only get up to go to the bathroom and I could shower once a day. It sucked. Well, it wasn't all bad. My mother-in-law and my cousin sent over delicious food, and I am so grateful. That definitely brightened my weekend. I also had some quick visits from some family members that made me smile.

On Monday, we went back to Dr. L (my OB) to follow up on the bleeding and get an u/s to check on Rambo. He looked wonderful, as usual. He was grabbing his ankles and had his feet up near his face. Just chillin' like that. We got a little view of his face and this week he looks like me. Last week, he looked like John. Here's the profile shot we got (where he looks like me): 
Here's the one from last week where he looks like John. It's a close up of his face with a level II machine. That's some schnoz! 

The Dr. was pleased that the bleeding has stopped, but cautioned that this is still a sensitive time for me. I am done with bed rest (hallelu-yer!), but I am now on a modified form of rest. I don't have to lay down all day, but I am not to go grocery shopping, to the mall, etc. Oh, and I am out of work until 4/26! You'd think I'd be happy about this, right? Well, I'm not. I want to join the world of the living. I'm lonely. 

We also had to cancel our trip to Florida for spring break next week. I am super bummed about this because I have been looking forward to it and I love Sarasota. We just can't take the risk of something happening while we're 1,000 miles away. If Rambo decided to come now, no one would be able to save him and I just couldn't face that away from home. Plus, John would be a nervous wreck the whole week. Staycation it is. 

I hope no one misinterprets my whining for ungratefulness. My number one priority is my son. Screw the vacation, Florida will always be there. Who cares about bed rest? My baby is healthy. I'd walk through fire wearing a catheter forever if it meant my baby would be safer. I mean that whole-heartedly. I'm just being a grouch on the couch. 
John and I were thinking of maybe taking a day trip somewhere for my spring break, since I'll be bored. We can't think of anything good to do--not too far, and not too active. Any suggestions? 


The Weekly Survey! 
How Far Along: 23 weeks, 2 days
 
Sex: boy
 
Size of baby:
Well, last week he weighed 1 lb. 3 oz. (19 oz), So, he's got to be over 21 oz. by now. I've read that babies at this point in gestation gain an average of 3-6 oz. per week. I'm thinking he's about 12 inches tall. My baby is the length of an ear of corn! Grandpa would be so proud. 

Other things baby is up to:
His body and head are now at the same proportions as a full-term baby, but he is still quite frail and wrinkled. He's just starting to gain body fat, so his skin is still translucent and see-through. Rambo's eyes are formed, but lack pigment, and thus have no eye color! Weird! He is practicing his breathing, and so, gets hiccups sometimes. I felt this the other day. The survival rate for infants born at 23 weeks is only 10%, and for those that survive, the rate of having serious health complications is over 90%. He really needs to cook a lot longer. 
Rapid eye movement and dreaming are beginning. I wonder what he's dreaming about. Maybe ice cream? He seems to like that a lot. He's also hearing a lot these days: air going into and out of my lungs, my stomach gurgling, my voice and John's voice (both of which he will be able to recognize at birth). I think this is definitely true because whenever John talks for a few minutes, like if he's telling a story, the baby starts to move a lot. He loves his daddy!

Total Weight Gain/Loss:
+6 (total). It was so nice not gaining for so long. I think those days are over.
 
Movement: Every day. I can feel it best when I am laying on my back. On Monday, I had an ultrasound and I got to see his arm move at the same time that I felt it.

Sleep:
This week, sleep has been weird. I am waking up a lot at night and having bad nightmares. Poor John gets startled several times a week. The other night I had a dream that my sister used all the clean towels and I had none to shower with. John was awoken to a shrill, "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW??" at three in the morning. Yep, I'm a sleep talker. Ask John what happened the time I had a dream I was being attacked by an opossum. He didn't appreciate it.

Symptoms:
Fatigue. Back pain. Bad back pain at night.
 
Cravings: My cravings are not like those you see in the movies, where the lady needs to eat something particular and her husband goes out in a snowstorm to get it (remember Lady and the Tramp? "Watermelon! Oh, and some Chop Suey!"). It's more like, "Oh, banana pancakes sound good. Let's eat that." I can live without them, but why would anyone live without banana pancakes? 

Aversions:
None that come to mind. I'm pretty hungry lately. 

Maternity Clothes:
Mostly. 

Belly Button:
Innie.Still.
 
Milestones: I felt Rambo's hiccups for the first time this week. 

Looking forward to:
Squishing his tushie and kissing his toes.

What I Miss: 
Sleeping on my stomach. I think I'd sleep much better if I could. 

Next appointment:
Wednesday, 4/27 for a check up and the Glucose Tolerance Test. This was also Peanut's due date, so I'm dreading that day. 

Times I used the doppler in the last week: None. He moves a lot and I had an u/s on Monday, so I'm not too concerned about whether his heart is beating right now. Maybe later. 

Weekly bump pic: These are regular clothes, non-maternity. You can see the shirt getting a little short. I look like a fat kid in a cartoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment